What started as a personal passion sparked by a camping trip soon spread through word of mouth in Toronto, and today over 1 million people have experienced the thrill of axe throwing at one of our venues across North America.
To learn more about the BATL Axe Throwing story, check out Matt Wilson’s presentation from TEDxWindsor.
AXE THROWING EVENTS
No matter the reason for visiting BATL Axe Throwing, we believe that throwing an epic event should be fun and simple. Our private axe throwing packages include 1 – 2.5 hours of throwing depending on your group size, flexible food options and private space to fit your party’s needs. Each venue offers the best facilities for people of all abilities to compete and have fun. Our axe throwing ‘arenas’ are similar to a cross between a batting cage and bowling alley, with private space for groups of any size, and a music selection that makes every visit amazing. BATL Axe Throwing now has 18 locations across North America (including Toronto, Pickering, Ottawa, Niagara Falls, London, Kitchener, Hamilton, and Calgary in Canada; in addition to Novi, Nashville, and Chicago in the United States – with more on the way!) offering up the urban axe throwing experience that we pioneered over 12 years ago.
PUBLIC WALK-IN SESSIONS
Looking for a more casual option to try axe throwing for the first time? BATL Axe Throwing offers axe throwing on a walk-in basis at designated times each week. Our coaches will be on hand to instruct those who have never thrown an axe before, and offer tips on technique for more experienced throwers looking to sharpen their skills. Similar to public skating, skiing or swimming – guests throw in a common area with other participants, and may need to make allowance for shared space based on friendly guidance from your BATL Axe Throwing coach.
AXE THROWING LEAGUES
Have you already mastered how to throw an axe at BATL Axe Throwing? Then check out our weekly axe throwing league. Our leagues are the perfect excuse to get together with friends, make a few new ones and enjoy a little competition. With no experience necessary you’ll compete individually while receiving tips from our friendly coaches – and plenty of time to hang out between throwing. Check out some videos from recent competitions.
GETTING STARTED WITH AXE THROWING
Things begin with practise and instruction (no experience necessary!) from BATL Axe Throwing’s expert coaches before starting a round-robin and group playoff tournament. Nothing we do would be possible without the amazing people we have working with us. We hire some of the most talented, fun and friendly individuals that you’ll ever have the pleasure to meet, and our staff will be with you through every step of your axe throwing event. Looking for tips before heading to your nearest BATL Axe Throwing location? See below for the top tips to make you a pro in no time!
1. YOUR AXE THROWING STANCE AND THE BASICS
- Always have your foot forward, which is opposite of your dominant hand.
- When you throw, make sure you lean in (forward) and follow through.
- Keep your arms fully straight and eyes level with your target on the board.
2. HOW TO AIM YOUR AXE
- Keep your eyes on the target.
- Look directly at where you want the axe to go and throw!
- Keep the same idea to aim for a clutch.
3. THE TWO-HANDED AXE THROWING TECHNIQUE
- Place your dominant hand at the bottom of the axe;
- Wrap your opposite hand around your grip (hugging your dominant hand);
- Keep thumb down and fingers from straying up on the handle;
- Place opposite foot (to dominant hand) on top of the black line with other foot behind on the floor;
- Bring the axe all the way back, then all the way forward, releasing in front of your face;
- Do all the steps in one fluid motion following through after releasing of the axe.
- We suggest mastering the two-handed technique before moving onto one-handed axe throwing technique.
4. ONE-HANDED AXE THROWING TECHNIQUE
- Place your dominant hand at the bottom of the axe;
- Keep your thumb down and fingers from straying up on the handle;
- Place your opposite foot (to dominant hand) on top of the black line with other foot behind on the floor;
- Bring the axe all the way back, then all the way forward, releasing the axe in front of your face;
- Keep your elbow from straying outside of shoulders;
- Do the whole thing in one fluid motion, following through after release.
5. THROWING THE BIG AXE
Throwing the Big Axe at BATL Axe Throwing has the same core concepts as the standard throws (two-handed and one-handed axe throwing techniques) except:
- You will use two hands to throw with two hands stacked on the handle, as opposed to clasping one another, making sure the dominant hand is on top;
- You will stand a bit further away from the target.
- You must bring the axe all the way back and then all the way forward, to ensure your throw is powerful due to the weight of the big axe.
6. ADJUSTMENTS TO HOW YOU THROW & SCORING
Adjustments may include; Your throw is under rotating because you are not leaning into the throw and your thumb creeps up and causes the axe to wiggle in the air. Don’t worry! If you are having any difficulties with the techniques our coaches are there to help you and give tips throughout the entire event! Once you have the basics down, your group will start a round-robin tournament! Scoring from axescores.com will be shown on our display screens to keep your group up-to-date on the latest bullseyes!
Some start off strong with axe throwing and other weaker, the key is to keep it up and be consistent. Don’t get discouraged, listen and obey to your coaches and have a great time.
Check out some of our guests produced videos below to see how others found the axe throwing experience at BATL Axe Throwing!