Who We Are
Don’t let the word “axes” scare you. BATL, The Backyard Axe Throwing League, is a dynamic, inclusive, and progressive company with a long track record of internal career advancement. Our mission at BATL is to show people the power of being good to each other using the axe as a tool to build community, inspired by our backyard roots. Founded in 2006, we’re immensely proud to have been the first organization in the world to offer an indoor venue to experience the thrill of axe throwing in leagues, group parties, walk-ins, and team building. We continue to further our promise to be as inclusive as possible in our work and play environment: We continue to work actively in creating a sense of belonging for a diversity of perspectives reflecting the greater community and, unlike most sports, our throwers always compete head to head with no separation by gender identity or physical disability, including tournament play.
BATL is one of the quickest growing brands in the sporting entertainment industry, with extensive national press coverage and a fanatical following of league members and event guests. Almost 2 million people from all walks of life have thrown axes at one of our BATL venues. BATL is a proud founding member of the International Axe Throwing Federation (IATF).
Who We’re Looking For
As a part-time BATL Coach, your role will be to share BATL’s passion for axe throwing by providing a safe and ridiculously fun experience to our guests. You will oversee all facets of in-venue customer interaction from arrival to departure. Your interaction with our guests may be the defining memory of their experience at BATL.
What We Can Offer You
- great opportunity for career advancement: our venue Floor Managers and many of our venue General Managers and HQ staff have progressed from Coach positions
- certified CPR and First Aid training, as well as alcoholic beverage server certification
- a service-oriented work environment that is professionally challenging while socially informal. We’re buttoned down behind the scenes so our guests can relax and enjoy a fun, safe experience.
- Flexible work scheduling, seven days a week (availability on Saturdays is required).
- We provide staff discounts on BATL apparel, merchandise, and axe throwing, including 50% off league membership.
Your Specific Duties Will Include:
Leadership: As the face of our guests’ BATL experience, you will share our axe throwing enthusiasm in a fun and professional manner.
Coaching: You will teach guests how to throw an axe and improve their technique throughout their visit.
Operations: You will guide the smooth flow of events, including tournament set-up, scoring, food and beverage ordering, payment processing, and more.
Safety: You will ensure that all equipment is maintained up to our high standards, all procedures are followed by guests and other staff including our strict commitment to COVID-19 sanitization, mask, and distancing.
Facilities: You will support the entire BATL team to get the job done and provide our guests with the most entertaining visit possible! This may include apparel and merchandise sales, set-up, and clean-up tasks as needed.
Your Skills And Qualifications
- You must LOVE throwing axes! Don’t worry if you haven’t tried it yet, we’ll teach you, and trust us: everyone loves it.
- You have a positive personality and enjoy using humour in a group setting.
- You have a compelling interest in coaching and teaching, and an enthusiasm for patiently sharing new experiences with others.
- You have strong leadership skills, displaying high confidence and emotional EQ to manage group dynamics in a setting of friendly competition.
- You excel in a team environment, fostering a culture of respect, camaraderie, and inclusiveness for ALL guests and staff.
- You have a results-oriented mindset, doing what needs to be done and taking initiative to prevent problems before they occur.
- You are adaptable, capable of responding to unanticipated situations on the fly, managing multiple activities, and prioritizing competing demands while maintaining a fun demeanour.
- You are flexible to work variable shifts between 10am – 11:30pm (hours may be restricted due to COVID-19 restrictions). Your availability to work public holidays is an asset.
BATL Core Values
We are a COMMUNITY.
We strive to build something greater than the sum of us as individuals.
We are generous, respectful, and lend a hand.
We work with our neighbors, building on our successes together.
We support each other and adapt in order to grow.
We are EMPOWERED.
We take initiative. We are accountable for our actions and decisions.
We have a sense of ownership, taking responsibility and finishing what we start.
We behave responsibly: others’ safety and well-being is our priority.
We think beyond our own scope, anticipating what needs to be done for the greater BATL good.
We have HEART.
We believe in what we do and are intent on sharing our love of axe throwing with the world.
We are scrappy, having a sense of urgency to get the job done.
We are irreverent and don’t take ourselves too seriously.
We are unified in celebrating each other’s accomplishments.
We are INNOVATORS.
We created the sport of urban axe throwing and invention is at our core.
We encourage ongoing development to lead our sport to new heights.
We recognize challenges as drivers of creativity and growth.
We push boundaries to maximize results.
We are professionals, taking pride in delivering an unrivalled experience.
We have INTEGRITY.
We are made stronger by living our shared Values.
We are inclusive: be good to each other and you are welcome in our backyard.
We are undivided in our struggles.
We are fierce competitors and respect the rules of competition.
We stand by our actions, values, and responsibilities.
Part-time hours: 10-30 per week
Application deadline: 2021-04-06
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
Salary: $14.25 per hour
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Discounted or free food
- Flexible schedule
- On-site parking
- Store discount
- 10 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
Our COVID-19 safety protocols meet or exceed health department and CDC regulations. We follow mandates restricting venue capacity, group sizes, and enforce social distancing and masks for everyone in addition to sanitization processes.
- Hospitality: 1 year (preferred)
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place