Who We Are
BATL, The Backyard Axe Throwing League, is a dynamic and progressive work community with a long track record of internal career advancement. Our mission at BATL is to show people the power of being good to each other using the axe as a tool to build community, inspired by our backyard roots. Founded in 2006, we’re immensely proud to have been the first organization in the world to offer an urban venue to experience the thrill of indoor axe throwing in leagues, group parties, walk-ins, and team building. BATL is one of the quickest growing brands in the sporting entertainment industry, with extensive national press coverage and a fanatical following of league members and event guests. Almost 2 million people have thrown axes at one of our BATL venues and we are now poised for imminent rapid growth. BATL is a proud founding member of the International Axe Throwing Federation (IATF).
Who We Are Looking For
We’re looking for the most dynamic, motivated people to build our team and be part of our growth story. Demands will vary, with your role serving as the first dedicated legal resource reporting to our VP, Finance & Regulatory Affairs. You will provide support primarily focused on corporate law on a broad range of contractual, transactional, financial, M&A, corporate governance, and compliance matters. As an internationally expanding business covering multiple legal jurisdictions, BATL provides a great opportunity to gain exposure to all facets of business operations while honing your corporate legal career as part of high performance, entrepreneurial team.
What We Can Offer You
- a full-time permanent position, working with a small team in a professionally challenging while socially informal environment
- the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in multiple facets of corporate law including organization, mergers and acquisitions, financing, licensing, taxation, and employment law across multiple legal jurisdictions
- directly impact foundational aspects of an expansion-oriented company
- potential for future opportunities for career advancement as our company grows, including the possibility of voluntary relocation
- flexibility to work offsite when scheduling permits
- downtown Toronto bright historic loft workspace, close to Yonge-University subway Line 1, multiple streetcar lines, Union Station regional rail hub, and the Gardiner Expressway
- comprehensive health benefits package available to you after successful completion of your 3-month probationary period
- complimentary access to the thousands of training courses available at Lynda.com, LinkedIn’s learning portal
- membership in Perkopolis.com, providing access to dozens of discounts on shopping, travel, experiences, and more
- staff discounts on BATL apparel, merchandise, and axe throwing
Specific Duties Include:
- maintaining corporate record books
- coordinate processes related to legal document execution, tracking, and record-keeping
Mergers and Acquisitions
- coordinate with external counsels to prepare deal documents (asset/share purchase agreement, resolutions, shareholder approvals, etc)
- lead execution of documents and driving deals forward
- support ‘know your client’ inquires with potential lenders/shareholders
- draft related resolutions, approvals, and notices
Contracts and Licensing
- review and comment on terms and conditions of commercial contracts
- prepare applications, filings, and other government submissions
- research relevant legislation, codes, and ordinances which impact operations
- assist HR with the creation of employment contracts, corporate policies, and implementation of compliance programs
Your skills and qualifications:
- You have 4+ years of paralegal or legal assistant experience in corporate law (preferred), business/liquor licensing, or employment law.
- Paralegal (or similar legal focused) degree or diploma from a Canadian or American accredited program.
- Your P1 license with the Law Society of Ontario is an asset.
- You have transaction experience, including mergers and acquisitions, finance, and private equity funding.
- You have experience drafting and reviewing a variety of documents (including but not limited to minutes, resolutions, government submissions, and compliance policies.
- You have an analytical, solution-oriented mindset with the ability to anticipate needs and implement solutions before an issue arises.
- You are a highly organized self-starter with strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- You are comfortable within an unstructured environment and proficient at prioritizing competing demands.
- You are motivated, with a strong desire to learn and grow.
- You have excellent communication skills including the ability to speak, write, and otherwise communicate requirements and data clearly and effectively.
- Your previous experience in retail or service-oriented business is an asset.
- Your expertise with Microsoft Word and Excel are required; your proficiency in Google Suite is an asset.
- salary of $50,000-$65,000 commensurate with experience, plus performance bonus