Who We Are
BATL, The Backyard Axe Throwing League, is a dynamic and progressive work community with a long track record of internal career advancement driven by rapid growth. Our mission at BATL is to show people the power of being good to each other using the axe as a tool to build community. Founded in 2006, we’re immensely proud to have been the first organization in the world to offer an urban venue to experience the thrill of indoor axe throwing in leagues, group parties, walk-ins, and team building. Almost 2 million people to date have thrown axes at one of our venues and we are poised for accelerated expansion.
Who You Are
BATL is one of the quickest growing brands in the sporting entertainment industry, with extensive national press coverage and a fanatical following of league members and event guests. As a full-time General Manager at one of BATL’s retail locations, your role will be to share BATL’s passion for axe throwing by efficiently delivering a safe and ridiculously fun experience to our guests. You will manage a team of 10-20 passionate axe-throwing Coaches and Floor Managers, motivating and achieving results while maintaining our positive, inclusive culture. We’re looking for the best people to build our team and be part of our growth story. If you have a strong background in high performance hospitality or rapid growth environments, and a passion for building community, then we’d like to speak with you.
What We Can Offer You
- A great opportunity for career advancement: many of our venue General Managers and HQ staff have progressed from Coach positions
- Certified CPR and First Aid training, as well as alcoholic beverage server certification
- A service-oriented work environment that is professionally challenging while socially informal. We’re buttoned down behind the scenes so our guests can relax and enjoy a fun, safe experience.
- Flexible work scheduling, seven days a week.
- Our membership in Perkopolis.com offers you dozens of discounts on shopping, travel, experiences, and more.
- We provide staff discounts on BATL apparel, merchandise, and axe throwing, including 50% off league membership.
What We Can Offer You
- managing a small community business within the support of a larger framework.
- comprehensive health benefits package, available to you after successful completion of your 3-month probationary period
- future opportunities for career advancement as our company grows, including the possibility of voluntary relocation
- certified CPR and First Aid training, as well as alcohol server certification
- a service-oriented work environment that is professionally challenging while socially informal. We’re buttoned down behind the scenes so our guests can relax and enjoy a fun, safe experience.
- complimentary access to thousands of training courses available at the Lynda.com LinkedIn learning portal
- membership in Perkopolis.com, offering you dozens of discounts on shopping, travel, experiences, and more
- staff discounts on BATL apparel, merchandise, and axe throwing, including one free league membership
Your Key Responsibilities Will Include:
- Customer relations: As the face of your BATL venue, you will develop a thriving customer base through networking, social media, and delivery of an unparalleled entertainment experience.
- Talent: You will lead the hiring, training, and management of your direct reports while fostering BATL’s open, positive culture.
- Partnership: You will support profitability of your venue through development of local commercial partnerships and advertising revenue.
- Operations: You will rigorously uphold BATL’s commitment to safety, ensuring safe and smooth facility operation, including supervising the final stages of venue construction and finishing, implementing systems, and ongoing vendor management.
- Communication: You will provide HQ with ongoing feedback and reporting of best practices, requirements, and forecasts.
Your Skills And Qualifications
- You have an innate ability to inspire a team, including strong leadership skills, displaying high confidence and emotional EQ to manage group dynamics in a setting of friendly competition.
- You are able to lift up to 40 pounds on occasion when required and are capable of using basic power tools (e.g. drill, grinder, crowbar) or comfortable to learn.
- You have P&L ownership experience with a track record of revenue growth and expense saving solutions.
- You have a results-oriented mindset and are an innovative and strategic thinker.
- You are able to synthesize data, taking initiative to prevent problems before they occur and turning demands into results-oriented business tactics.
- You have high competence with personal organization and productivity, including experience using Microsoft Excel.
- You are adaptable, capable of responding to unanticipated situations on the fly including conflict resolution, managing multiple activities, and prioritizing competing demands while maintaining a fun demeanor.
- You have an enthusiasm for patiently sharing new experiences with others.
- You have a high energy, positive demeanour with strong English communication skills. Fluency in Spanish or French is an asset.
- You have a broad local network to quickly activate the business with Guests.
- You are flexible to work variable shifts between 10am – 11pm. Your availability to work public holidays is an asset.
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary: commensurate with experience, plus performance-based quarterly profit-sharing bonus incentive ($46k – potential $65k total)
Benefits: comprehensive health care and dental benefits upon completion of a 3-month probationary period; 15 days of paid vacation per year