Who We Are
BATL, The Backyard Axe Throwing League, is a dynamic and progressive work community with a long track record of internal career advancement. Our mission at BATL is to show people the power of being good to each other using the axe as a tool to build community, inspired by our backyard roots. Founded in 2006, we’re immensely proud to have been the first organization in the world to offer an urban venue to experience the thrill of indoor axe throwing in leagues, group parties, walk-ins, and team building. Almost 2 million people have thrown axes at one of our BATL venues and we are now poised for imminent rapid growth. BATL is a proud founding member of the International Axe Throwing Federation (IATF).
Who You Are
As a part-time BATL Coach, your role will be to share BATL’s passion for axe throwing by providing a safe and ridiculously fun experience for our guests. You will oversee all facets of in-venue customer interaction from arrival to departure. Your interaction with our guests may be the defining memory of their experience at BATL.
What We Can Offer You
- A great opportunity for career advancement: many of our venue General Managers and HQ staff have progressed from Coach positions
- Certified CPR and First Aid training, as well as alcoholic beverage server certification
- A service-oriented work environment that is professionally challenging while socially informal. We’re buttoned down behind the scenes so our guests can relax and enjoy a fun, safe experience.
- Flexible work scheduling, seven days a week.
- Our membership in Perkopolis.com offers you dozens of discounts on shopping, travel, experiences, and more.
- We provide staff discounts on BATL apparel, merchandise, and axe throwing, including 50% off league membership.
Your Specific Duties Will Include:
Leadership: As the face of our guests’ BATL experience, you will share our axe throwing enthusiasm in a fun and professional manner.
Coaching: You will teach guests how to throw an axe and improve their technique throughout their visit.
Operations: You will guide the smooth flow of events, including tournament set-up, scoring, food and beverage ordering, payment processing, and more.
Safety: You will ensure that all equipment is maintained up to our high standards, all procedures are followed by guests and other staff, and first aid response is delivered in exceptional cases.
Facilities: You will support the entire BATL team to get the job done and provide our guests with the most entertaining visit possible! This may include apparel and merchandise sales, set-up ,and clean-up tasks as needed.
Your Skills And Qualifications
- You must LOVE throwing axes! Don’t worry if you haven’t tried it yet, we’ll teach you. Trust us: everyone loves it.
- You have a positive personality with strong English communication skills and you enjoy using humour in a group setting. Fluency in Spanish or French is an asset.
- You have a compelling interest in coaching and teaching, and an enthusiasm for patiently sharing new experiences with others.
- You have strong leadership skills, displaying high confidence and emotional EQ to manage group dynamics in a setting of friendly competition.
- You excel in a team environment, fostering a culture of respect, camaraderie, and inclusiveness for ALL guests and staff.
- You have a results-oriented mindset, doing what needs to be done and taking initiative to prevent problems before they occur.
- You are adaptable, capable of responding to unanticipated situations on the fly, managing multiple activities, and prioritizing competing demands while maintaining a fun demeanour.
- You are flexible to work variable shifts between 10am – 11:30pm with particular focus on weekdays daytime and/or evenings. Your availability to work public holidays is an asset.